Plan hard disk scans with TreeSize
To use existing hard disk space optimally, you should scan and clean up all drives in regular intervals. TreeSize Professional enables you to plan all disk operations and have them run automatically. This goes for the features of the main program as well as for all the options of the file search: Simply use the "Manage Scheduled Tasks" function.
All tasks entered here are added to the Windows planned tasks. TreeSize offers a clear and easy to use GUI to create and save TreeSize calls via command line parameters that will run all selected operations - for example creating an XML report - at predefined dates.
Planning scans in TreeSize is really easy. Watch the video and see how it's done!
How do I plan scans in TreeSize?
The task planer offers a variety of functions you can use to compose the planned tasks.
To create a task, you first need to enter the paths you want to scan. You can either type the folder name or use the selection menu. Use a blank space if you want to enter more than one path.
Once the path has been set you can choose between the following tabs:
- "Export": Select which scans TreeSize shall save to which format.
- "Move" (TreeSize File Search only): Define, whether TreeSize shall move files (and if so, where the files will be moved to).
- "Options": Configure scans or exports.
- "Advanced": Additional options for scan configuration.
- "Command line": Check the command line created from your settings. You can also copy the commandline to the clipboard.
- "Schedule": Define, when a planned task will be performed.
- "All Tasks": See a list of all Windows task regarding TreSize Professional. If required you can alter or delete each task individually.
Once the scan is planned, you can add the task to the Windows task planer via "Save Task".
Should TreeSize encounter an error while performing a planned scan, the error will be noted in the Windows event log under "Applications".
You want to receive a report stating the used disk space of your server via email (HTML) each Sunday. The report shall include the first level of all server drives and shall not only be sent to you but also saves as an XML file directly to the server (folder "Archive\Scans\"). You proceeds as follows:
- You configure the SMTP mail server settings under "Extras > Options > Export > Email".
- In the window "Scheduled tasks" you select "XML file" and set the safe path; then you make sure to activate "Send email". To make sure that your files are not overwritten by later saves you select "Add date and time to filenames".
- Under "Options" you enter the UNC path \\Server and decide that levels shall be expanded to level 1.
- You select a weekly interval under "Schedule" and select "Sunday".
- Check the command line TreeSize Professional created automatically under "Command Line".
- After you have saved the finished tasks it will be listed under "All Tasks".
We protect your privacy! The plug-in "Shariff" makes sure that your data will not be transferred to social networks unless you click one of the share buttons. Learn more.