Hello and welcome to our Knowledge Base. Our experts provide answers to the most frequently asked questions of our customers. Start your information search here to find your answer quickly and easily.
Please enter your query or select one of the above categories.
All entries (Page 1 / 2)
This results from the basic view without details, where the size information for the current view type (size, allocated, files, percent) is shown before the name of each object.
Having the details shown, you can simply deactivate these values at "Options -> Show preceding values in details view"
Why is there any reason for context menu entries with a portable app and how can I remove these entries?
By default, the option to integrate with the Explorer's context menu is deactivated for the portable version and TreeSize Free would thus not create any entry.
If you want to use the portable version just like the installed version, but without the installation, you can activate the option to show context menu entries on the 'Options' tab.
Please note that this setting will be persisted and restored upon each start of the application.
The easiest way to remove the entries again is to deactivate the option on the 'Options' tab.
The official installer for TreeSize Free (as well as the portable version and the version available in the Windows Store) would not install any other applicationand is tested to contain no malware.
Please assure to download TreeSize Free from trusted sources only, like our official download server at https://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free
Should you believe you have found a conspicuous download source, please let us know.
Yes, TreeSize Freee may be used in commercial and enterprise environments. TreeSize Free has the limitation that it cannot scan network drives in Windows domains, this is only possible with the Professional edition.
However, please consider purchasing a few licenses of TreeSize Professional to support the further development of all editions.
Yes, there is:
On the 'Options' tab, click and expand the 'Options' drop down. The first entry of the now shown list ('Tooltips') allows you to chose between the available hint types:
- Only for cut off labels: Only shows a hint, if the content of a cell had to be cropped
- Show Long Tooltips: Shows a hint containing detailed information on an element
- Show a preview of the current folder's content: Shows a preview window on the current folder
With V4.1.1, the default option for the tooltips has been adjusted, so the folder content preview has to be activated manually.
The 'Tooltips' option has been moved to the 'Options' tab also, so it may be accessed more easily.
Yes, you can.
If it's just for the height of the ribbon menu, you may first try to minimize it. Just right-click on the menu and select 'Minimize the Ribbon'.
Using the right-click menu, you may also add commands to a quick access bar and create a toolbar specialized for your own needs.
To disable the ribbon interface completely you may use the command line parameter /UseRibbonUI false since v4.0.2:
- Close TreeSize Free
- Open the prompt to run a program (shortcut: Win + R)
- Type in the path to TreeSizeFree.exe and the required parameter. This usually results in (including the quotation marks): "C:\Program Files (x86)\JAM Software\TreeSize Free\TreeSizeFree.exe" /UseRibbonUI false
- With a click on 'Ok' you may now TreeSizeFree without the ribbon interface. This setting is persisted and will be used again at the next start of TreeSizeFree, so you would have to run this command only once.
As an alternative (which works for older versions too), you may change the setting in the GlobalOptions file:
- Close TreeSize Free
- Locate the file "GlobalOptions.xml" and open it with a texteditor at your choice (like notepad.exe).
- When you used the default installer to deploy TreeSize Free, the GlobalOptions.xml should be located at %appdata%\JAM Software\TreeSize Free
- For the portable version, the options file will reside in the same folder as the executable
- Search for the text "<UseRibbonUI>True</UseRibbonUI>" and replace it with "<UseRibbonUI>False</UseRibbonUI>"
- Save the file and close the editor. TreeSize Free will now start without the ribbon interface
To activate the ribbon interface again, please follow the same steps, but replace False with True (e.g. /UseRibbonUI true)
TreeSize Free can only see files the device exposes via the MTP protocol. Most likely, the missing space is occupied by the operating systems or other critical data and may not be accessed this way.
You may change the language at the beginning of the installation. Just select 'English' from the drop-down menu.
Or you may simply delete the file 'TreeSizeFree.DE', located right beneath the executable in the installation folder.
Apps from the Microsoft Store are executed in a sandbox and can not write to all of the registry. Creating a context menu entry for the TreeSize Free store version is thus not possible.
If you want to use TreeSize Free from the Explorer's context menu, please use one of the other versions (Installer or Portable), which offer this option.
These differences can occur because the free version does not take all NTFS-specific features into account.
TreeSize Free recognizes compressed and sparse files. The new compression methods LZX and XPress, introduced with Windows 10, are supported with TreeSize Free v4.1 and above.
Features like Alternate Data Streams (ADS), Deduplication (Windows Server 2012 and above) or recognition of hardlinks are not evaluated in TreeSize Free.
The personal and professional edition come with an option to explicitly analyze these extended NTFS features, which may make the results more accurate.
Yes, you may use the free version in a corporate environment. However, scanning of network shares within Windows domains, as it is often the case in corporate environments, is only possible with the professional version.
Yes, our download page allows you to select either the .exe setup file, which can be used for a full installation, or a .zip file that contains the TreeSize Free executable, which can be run without installation.