Please enter your query or select one of the above categories.
I don't want TreeSize to automatically check for updates. Can I disable this option and perform checks only manually?
Yes you can!
Please go to the 'Help' tab and click on 'Check for update'. Doing so will actually check for updates and bring up a notification window stating the result of the check. The same notification window would show up, if an automatic check has found an available update.
The checkbox at the bottom of this notification allows you to choose whether to 'Check for updates regularly'.
I really like TreeSize Free, but I'm no big fan of the new ribbon interface, as it's just too large. Can I switch back to the old toolbar view?
Yes, you can.
If it's just for the height of the ribbon menu, you may first try to minimize it. Just right-click on the menu and select 'Minimize the Ribbon'.
Using the right-click menu, you may also add commands to a quick access bar and create a toolbar specialized for your own needs.
To disable the ribbon interface completely you may use the command line parameter /UseRibbonUI false since v4.0.2:
- Close TreeSize Free
- Open the prompt to run a program (shortcut: Win + R)
- Type in the path to TreeSizeFree.exe and the required parameter. This usually results in (including the quotation marks): "C:\Program Files (x86)\JAM Software\TreeSize Free\TreeSizeFree.exe" /UseRibbonUI false
- With a click on 'Ok' you may now TreeSizeFree without the ribbon interface. This setting is persisted and will be used again at the next start of TreeSizeFree, so you would have to run this command only once.
- As an alternative (which works for older versions too), you may change the setting in the GlobalOptions file:
- Close TreeSize Free
- Locate the file "GlobalOptions.xml" and open it with a texteditor at your choice (like notepad.exe).
- When you used the default installer to deploy TreeSize Free, the GlobalOptions.xml should be located at %appdata%\JAM Software\TreeSize Free
- For the portable version, the options file will reside in the same folder as the executable
- Search for the text "<UseRibbonUI>True</UseRibbonUI>" and replace it with "<UseRibbonUI>False</UseRibbonUI>"
- Save the file and close the editor. TreeSize Free will now start without the ribbon interface
To activate the ribbon interface again, please follow the same steps, but replace False with True (e.g. /UseRibbonUI true)
I scanned my mobile device with TreeSize Free, but the total size calculated differs from the occupied space the Windows Explorer shows.
TreeSize Free can only see files the device exposes via the MTP protocol. Most likely, the missing space is occupied by the operating systems or other critical data and may not be accessed this way.
How can I change the language of TreeSize Free? After the installation, all menues are shown in german, but I would prefer them being in english.
You may change the language at the beginning of the installation. Just select 'English' from the drop-down menu.
Or you may simply delete the file 'TreeSizeFree.DE', located right beneath the executable in the installation folder.
I have installed TreeSize Free from the Microsoft Store, how can I activate the context menu entry in the Windows Explorer?
Apps from the Microsoft Store are executed in a sandbox and can not write to all of the registry. Creating a context menu entry for the TreeSize Free store version is thus not possible.
If you want to use TreeSize Free from the Explorer's context menu, please use one of the other versions (Installer or Portable), which offer this option.
Why does TreeSize Free show different size values than Windows Explorer?
These differences can occur because the free version does not take all NTFS-specific features into account.The personal and professional edition come with an option to analyze NTFS features like hardlinks and alternate data streams, which may make the results more accurate.
Am I allowed to use TreeSize Free in a corporate environment?
Yes, you may use the free version in a corporate environment. However, scanning of network shares within Windows domains, as it is often the case in corporate environments, is only possible with the professional version.
Do you offer a portable version of TreeSize Free?
Yes, our download page allows you to select either the .exe setup file, which can be used for a full installation, or a .zip file that contains the TreeSize Free executable, which can be run without installation.
Can I use TreeSize Free to scan my mobile phone?
Yes, TreeSize Free can scan mobile devices that are connected to the PC via USB. Most smartphones and digital cameras use the MTP (Media transfer protocol), which is not supported by many disk space managers. TreeSize, on the other hand, is able to scan these devices and show the disk space that is occupied on your mobile device.
Does TreeSize Free support scanning network drives?
Yes, scanning network drives is fully supported by the free version, unless the network share lies within a Windows domain. This is mostly the case in larger environments, such as a company network. The professional edition also supports scans in Windows domains.
I have downloaded your free version of TreeSize and it works great. However, I would like to demo the Treesize Pro before purchasing. Do you have a free trial version with a limited number of day or return police?
We have a fully functional demo versions for all our products. For TreeSize Professional please follow this link: http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/download.shtml