TreeSizeThe Powerful Disk Space Management Software
Archive, Copy, or Move Files
With the predefined and custom searches TreeSize offers plenty of possibilities to find the files you need. But unlike other tools TreeSize does not stop here: Besides the possibility to export the results in various file formats you can execute file operations on the search result.
TreeSize operations for file search results
- archive the files in the ZIP format.
- move files to a different location under preservation of certain parts of the path.
- delete checked files or move them to the recycle bin.
- define your own scripts or programs and pass the checked results list as parameter to them, to perform any desired operation.
- copy files to any location - this feature is very handy for file migration.
- rename the file names using various rules.
TreeSize can create a log file as well as an undo script. You can use the latter to revert all move operations (rename excluded).
In the Professional Edition, the file operations can be performed for each scheduled file search automatically and in regular intervals.
When copying or moving files, TreeSize can optionally preserve the directory structure, time stamps, or NTFS permissions.
In addition, you can leave symbolic links or NTFS hardinks in place of moved old files, enabling other users to access them in their new location.
Use case: Migration to SharePoint with TreeSize
You want to use a SharePoint for cross-departmental work with MS Office and thus need to migrate all office documents to the new server while preserving the folder structures. With the help of the TreeSize File Search, you find all files of the corresponding types (e.g. Office files). After removing characters that are not supported on SharePoint using the batch rename feature, you copy them to your SharePoint server. The log file guarantees traceability. After all files have been copied, you archive the documents on the old server (e.g. in a ZIP file) - and you are done.