UltraSearch Professional Changelog
Latest Updates of UltraSearch Professional
What new features are planned for the near future? Your opinion counts. Be part of the decision team and vote here for new UltraSearch Professional features.
This update contains 3 Community Features from our Feature Voting Platform: Running of multiple instances, exclusion of file name in the Query Composer as well as sorting "Size" and "Occupied" columns by descending size by default.
- The search speed when searching for file content has been increased by no longer searching files without usable content (such as exe, dll or other system files) by default. Which file types should be searched during the content search can be set via a new settings dialog under Options > Configure file content search.
- New instances of UltraSearch can now be started via the File > New Instance menu item or the shortcut key CTRL + N in order to be able to carry out further searches in parallel. Your wish in our feature voting platform.
- The result list now has columns for file extension, MD5 checksum, owner and NTFS permissions.
- File names can now be excluded from the search in the Query Composer. Your wish in our feature voting platform.
- In the batch renaming dialog, buttons can now be used to add additional files and folders for renaming.
- The bulk renaming dialog is now opened for renaming multiple files via the context menu or F2.
- File and folder information that is already in the main memory is now retained when a drive or file path is deselected. If the drive is selected again at a later point, this information is now available without rescanning the drive.
- The search speed of the file content search has been significantly improved through further parallelization when reading the files.
- When loading a search without a search pattern, the current search pattern is now retained.
- "Size" and "Occupied" columns are now sorted by descending size by default. Your wish in our feature voting platform.
- When using date, size or file group filters, an * does not have to be entered additionally to start a search according to the selected filter criteria.
- File and folder information for search paths that are no longer used can now be deleted from the internal cache via the context menu of the drive list.
- Minor improvements to the status bar have been made.
- File system changes on mapped network drives are now recognized correctly.
- Other small bug fixes and improvements have been made.
7 November 2022
The delivery of the 32bit version of UltraSearch ends with this version. Starting with version 3.4, UltraSearch will only be released as 64-bit version.
- Languages written from right to left are now displayed correctly when entered in the search field.
- The content search can now also search for terms with special characters in UTF-8 encoded files without the so-called "Byte Order Mark".
- An error when starting UltraSearch with additional command line parameters has been fixed.
- A problem opening PDF files with a comma in the file path has been fixed.
- Deleting files via the context menu while pressing the Shift key no longer moves the files to the recycle bin but deletes them directly from the hard drive.
29 June 2022
This update contains 4 Community Features from our Feature Voting Platform: Save and load searches, result lists containing duration of audio and video files as well as image sizes and better handling of the search field.
- User interface components and icons have been redesigned for a more modern Windows 11 style look.
- Search settings can now be saved and loaded via the "Save/Load search" button on the home ribbon.
- The result list now has columns for the width and height of images.
- A column for the duration of audio and video files has been added.
- The date filters now offer the option of manually entering the time span via input field.
- The search syntax now offers a new property "
path:" to restrict the search to specific folder paths. More detailed information and examples can be found in the program help.
- The folder paths of the selected files and folders can now be copied to the clipboard via the context menu of the result list or the shortcut "Ctrl + F".
- The manual selection of an interval for date filters has been improved. When selecting a day in the selection box, it is now clearer which days belong to the current month.
- UltraSearch is now also available in Russian, Polish, Norwegian, Danish and Vietnamese.
- Visible days of the previous month or the following month are now greyed out in the date filters.
- Clicking on an active file group filter in the filter panel no longer opens the dialog for editing the file groups, but rather a dropdown for quickly switching to another file group.
- When renaming files, just like in Windows Explorer, only the file name is selected by default without the file extension.
- Buttons for manually starting and stopping the search can be displayed via "Options > Miscellaneous > Show start/stop buttons".
- When clicking in the search field, the complete search entry is no longer selected, but the cursor is placed at the position of the mouse.
- The context menu of the result list now has an entry for bulk renaming of the selected files.
- To search for groups of files, the "
type:" property has been replaced by the "
group:" property in the search syntax.
- The input field for the file content search now has a button on the right side that can be used to delete the search input.
- A problem when opening files with Adobe Reader has been fixed.
- An error has been fixed where the files deleted via the file operations dialog were not removed from the result list.
- An error that made it temporarily impossible to access files from other programs has been fixed.
- File system changes on network drives were not recognized correctly in some cases. This issue has been resolved.
- · Windows ARM-based PCs are now supported.
12 April 2022
This update contains 3 Community Features from our Feature Voting Platform: New filters tab containing date filter and file size filter as well as Bulk Rename of multiple files at once.
- The new "Filters" tab in the ribbons now offers a date filter to change the time intervals for the dates the searched files were changed, modified or accessed.
- A size filter has been added to set a minimum and maximum size for searched files. This filter is also located on the new "Filters" tab.
- Thanks to Bulk Rename, UltraSearch Professional now supports the simultaneous renaming of multiple files with the help of the bulk renaming dialog known from TreeSize.
- The search syntax now offers the property "size:", to restrict the search to certain file sizes. More detailed information and examples can be found in the program help.
- The properties "accessed:", "created:" and "modified:" can now be used to restrict the search to specific time intervals using the language syntax. More detailed information and examples can be found in the program help.
- Vote for new features! The "Feature Voting" button on the "Help" tab takes you to our Feature Voting Platform, where you can vote on new functions for UltraSearch.
- Added keyboard navigation to the Query Composer.
- The options for selecting items in the result list have been moved from the "View" tab to the "Operations" tab.
- The option to display buttons for manually starting and stopping a search has been renamed to "Show search buttons".
- Using the command line parameter /NOADMIN, UltraSearch can be started without administrator rights.
- When using the file content search, a message is now displayed if the components required for the content search in Office files are not installed on the system.
- The internal cache was not updated correctly when files were changed in size, date or attribute. This bug has been fixed.
- If the option "Include subfolders" is deactivated, all selected search paths are now correctly considered.
- An error when editing the search paths has been fixed.
- A bug when using the filter "Ignore umlauts and accents" has been fixed.
- Using search patterns with certain combinations of wildcards and spaces may result in too many files being found. This problem has been resolved.
- In rare cases the application stopped responding when opening "Options> Application". This bug has been fixed.
- An error when adding an invalid file path has been fixed.
- The status bar is now translated correctly after changing the language.
- Windows 11 and Windows Server 2022 are now supported.
- Support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 has been discontinued.
08 December 2021
The Support for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 ends with version 3.1.2. Subsequent versions will no longer support these operating systems. Of course, there will still be important bug fixes if necessary.
- Protected PDF files no longer lead to a program error in the file content search.
- A program error when renewing the internal cache has been fixed.
- Regular Expressions containing the wildcard * caused an error in some cases. The problem has been solved.
- Using a Regular Expression with backslashes produced incorrect results. This bug has been corrected.
01 September 2021
- Several bugs that could lead to missing results or exceptions in the file content search have been fixed.
- If the separate input field for searching for file contents was activated, it now remains visible even after restarting the program.
- An error occurred in the Query Composer when changing the program language. The problem has been solved.
- An error when deleting files from the result list has been corrected.
26 May 2021
- UltraSearch now has a dark theme for the user interface. Its activation can either be linked to the corresponding Windows setting or switched on and off specifically.
- Searching for specific file types such as audio, video, or office files has been significantly simplified: By using the file type filter, the desired file type can be selected or changed and activated and deactivated with a simple click.
- The search for file contents has been streamlined and now offers a separate entry field as in previous versions. If required, this can be activated via a button in the ribbon bar.
- A new overview bar has been added above the search field. This will provide information about the filters that are currently active.
- Additional buttons for starting and finishing the search can now be displayed on the "Start" tab via the options. If this option is active, a search is no longer started automatically when a search pattern is entered, but only when the button or the "Enter" key is pressed. Changing the filter settings will still automatically start a new search.
- The File Operations dialog now has an option to retain the timestamps of files (creation date, modification date, last access) during a copy or move operation on the file system.
- An option to disable the splash screen has been added.
- The full version of the product can now be downloaded and installed directly from the demo version by entering the customer ID and installation key. The setup of the full version is performed automatically and unattended and can optionally be deferred until the application is closed.
- The command line parameter/CLIPBOARD can now be used to copy search results to the clipboard for further processing.
- Support for Windows Core Servers has been discontinued with this version.
- The user interface has been made more intuitive: The Search tab has been removed from the ribbon bar. All search and filter functions are now located on the "Start" tab. File operations such as copying, opening or deleting files as well as export functions of the results list have been moved to a separate "Results List" tab, which is displayed when results exist and hidden when the results list is empty.
- The menu item for opening the file path of a selected file has been adapted to the corresponding option in Windows Explorer. For this purpose, the icon has been replaced and the option has been renamed from "Open path" into " Open file path".
- UltraSearch is now also available in Japanese, Hungarian and Portuguese (Brazil).
- To simplify a new search entry, an existing search term will be completely selected again when clicking in the search field.
- The support of high-resolution monitors has been enhanced.
- When importing drive information, the drive paths are now displayed in the status bar.
- The search syntax hints in the empty result list have been removed. More detailed information and examples can still be found in the program help.
- The hint that UltraSearch is minimized to the notification area is now only indicated after initial activation of the corresponding option.
- In some cases, UltraSearch could not be started from the taskbar. This problem has been fixed.
- Languages written from right to left are now correctly depicted again when typed into the search field.
- In the results list, opening a file by double-clicking would not work in some cases. This problem has been fixed.
- An error in the selection of the target for file operations has been corrected.
- Special settings, such as collapsing the ribbon toolbar, are now preserved beyond a restart of the program.
- In rare occasions, results were displayed twice in the results list. This problem has been fixed.
- Support for Windows high contrast display mode has been improved.
- Files are now no longer deleted from the results list when the confirmation to move the files to the Recycle Bin was rejected.
13 April 2021
- When using the semicolon to separate multiple search terms, an error occurred in some cases. The problem has been solved.
- An error when searching for file types and file content using Query Composer has been fixed.
- Opening URL files via double-click now works correctly.
- An error that could occur when browsing OneDrive and Dropbox folders has been fixed.
- When starting UltraSearch via the Windows Explorer context menu, the search will now be started after the user has entered a search pattern.
- A bug when searching for files in folders with trailing spaces has been fixed.
- The visual representation of the exclude filter has been adapted: If the filter is activated, this option is now highlighted in blue, analogous to the other filters.
- A bug that caused the file preview to still show the contents of a file that had just been deleted was fixed.
- The tooltip in the result list now matches the currently selected element.
- Sorting the drive list by pinned drives now works properly.
- In some cases, the standard action for the respective file type was not executed when you double-clicked on a file in the result list. This issue has been resolved.
- The color for highlighting the sorted column has been corrected and now corresponds to the color of the previous version.
- The user interface options are now saved in the same folder as the program options.
- The readability of search input in "High Contrast" mode has been improved.
- Other small bug fixes and improvements were made.
11 November 2020
What's new in UltraSearch Professional? (selection)
- Advanced access to network drives
- Search on Windows Server
- Advanced file operations
- Multi selection via checkboxes